Popular Posts

Friday, August 12, 2011

Perspective

Yesterday was another rough day. It started out with The Man getting upset about someone else's driving on the way to work and me yelling at him for it. I got the silent treatment from him for the rest of the day. It may not sound so bad, but we usually talk at least 3 times a day if not more and it really sucked not being able to talk to him all day. Lesson learned. Let him do what he wants in the car (when The Baby is not in it). If something bad happens, then he will have a lesson learned. Until then, it's not my place to tell him what to do.

We have had car trouble with our vehicles lately, except the van. So, right now, the cars are parked and the van is our main source of transportation. Since The Man has school Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights, I decided I would ask my dad for a ride home after work. My dad picked me up a little late yesterday, we sat in traffic for approximately 45 minutes and then the car broke down. We were literally six blocks from my office. He called a tow truck and I called my sister-in-law to see if she could give me a ride home from BART once I got there. My father-in-law was still at my house with The Baby and I needed to get home to relieve him. I knew I couldn't call him for a ride because he usually drinks in the afternoon when he gets to my house and I didn't want him drinking and driving with The Baby in the car. My dad got a tow truck squared away and I confirmed a ride, so off I went. I had to leave my dad broke down in the middle of the road and hoof it back to my office (I really had to use the bathroom by then of course), then over to BART. I finally got home at 7:40 pm just in time to feed The Baby, give her a bath and put her to bed. I was feeling really horrible about only having less than an hour with her for the evening. I thought about keeping her up, but she was just so tired, I had to put her to bed.

So there I was mulling about my day, feeling frustrated and upset when I got a text message from my friend. Her sister had gotten into a fight with her mom and mom's boyfriend, which went on all night and into the next morning. Her uncle then went to the apartment to confront the boyfriend. Police were called and when they arrived her mom was unconscious and wouldn't wake up. She had overdosed on alcohol and pills and needed to be rushed to the emergency room. My poor friend told me that she thought it was her fault because she had sent her mom some nasty text messages about her taking the boyfriend's side over her sister. I had to explain to her that it wasn't her fault and that her mom has a problem, she is an addict. I hope that this is her wake up call and her rock bottom. I can't imagine what it would be like to see my mother in that state!

So, yes, needless to say, hearing from my friend really put things in perspective for me. The problems that I had throughout the day were nothing compared to what she is going through with her family and has gone through over the past few years. Her dad died the day after The Baby was born last year and had battled cancer from the result of alcoholism for several years prior.

After all that, The Man came home from school, I told him about my day and we discussed the morning's events that lead to the silent treatment and decided it was done and over and we would move on. The morning seemed so foolish to us by that point in the day.

I really need to learn how to go with the flow more often and not let the petty hiccups get me frustrated or down. Life is not smooth sailing and won't ever be. There will always be obstacles and road blocks of one kind or another. Just as long as they are not detrimental to our being, I need to learn that they are okay. Life would be so boring if everything was perfect all the time. The every day issues that arise are what make life interesting, and it's how we deal with them when they come along that makes us who we are.

I am trying my best as always. Some days are better than others. Today is going to be a good day. High class problems are a good thing. I could be living in a third world country wondering where and when I'm going to get my next meal and drink of water. When things get bad, or at least what I seem to think bad is, I need to look at the big picture. Life is what you make of it!

Happy Friday! It will be an exciting weekend filled with a family gathering and what sounds like a trip to Redding to repo our car. More about that on Monday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment